1955 Cadillac Fleetwood 60
Cadillac is among the oldest automobile brands in the world. Cadillac was founded in 1902 from the remnants of the Henry Ford Company. The company’s name is in honor of the man who founded Detroit, Michigan, a Frenchman named Antoine Laumet de la Mothe Sieur de Cadillac.
This 1955 Cadillac Series 60 Special, also known as a Fleetwood, was ordered by Mr. J.D. Graham in late 1954. (In May 1953, Mr. Graham was part of the Expedition that resulted in Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, a Sherpa mountaineer, being the first mountaineers to summit Mount Everest). Even though air conditioning was an option, he ordered the car without it and requested a "full" red leather interior, including red leather headliner. Supposedly his habit was to drive with the windows down, even in inclement weather; perhaps a throwback to his climbing days.
In 1965 the car was acquired by the Pepper family of Montecito. Over the next 20 years, Mr. Pepper drove the car to work every day. Students at Crane School and Laguna Blanca may remember it dominating the faculty parking area during the 1960's and 1970's. The car has been mechanically maintained by J&S East Valley Garage in Montecito from 1965 to present. The car is in original condition and has been owned by one family since 1965. Optional equipment ordered on the car include power brakes, radio w/front and rear speaker, heater, E-Z-Eye windshield glass, Autotronic-Eye automatic headlight dimmer and an all leather interior. It has a 331 cubic inch V8 engine which produces 250 horsepower, a wheelbase of 133 inches and an overall length of 227 inches.
Engine Size: 331 cubic inch
Engine HP: 250