1949 Plymouth Woodie Special Deluxe Station Wagon
There was a lot of truth to the slogan, "The Great New Plymouth," when the new 1949 models were introduced. Their restyled bodies had the most thoroughly redesigned exteriors since the prewar 1940 models. Gone was the fat fendered look, replaced by front fenders that were less obtrusive and better integrated into the body. Like most automobiles of this era, the engine was an L-type flathead and was a straight six engine, producing 97 horsepower from its 218 cubic inch engine. The woodies were made at Plymouth’s plant in Evansville, Indiana with Ash wood supplied from Pekin Wood of Helena, Arkansas.
This car sold new to Edna Grumback of New York City. It lived at her estate in Elberon, New Jersey where it was used to shuttle visitors from the train station to their estate, or short trips to the beach, or trips to the golf club (according to a hand written letter by her grandson). Edna Grumback was heiress to the American Lead Pencil fortune. Edna sold the car in 1965 to Charles Moody of Long Island, New York who drove it until 1969 where it sat in a barn until 1995. It passed through two more owners until it was acquired by the current owner in 2019.
The 1949 Plymouth Super Woodie is a rare car, with a total of 3,443 being made. There are only twenty six known to exist, and only four in the Plymouth woodie registry. It has less than 75,000 original miles. This car came to live in our museum in April 2019.